Wednesday, November 3, 2010

nonetheless

today i miss a father

when a boy
i taught myself
to throw a baseball
to sing something like a tune
to write a song
to wonder at the world

i figured out boys
are meant to be this and that
i figured out girls
will never be figured out

when boy morphed into man
i taught myself
to get around from place to place
to work like a man
is in his own hands
and his word's his word
and reputation is sacred

i figured out i'm not like you
or you
or you
i'm me
i figured out that GOD is meant
to be sought for like a diamond
to be fought for like a home
to be got for all the blood and sweat and tears
he's given me

when man becomes a boy again
surrounded by chaos by questions
and wonders at the world
so massive and so small
i teach myself
to steel my spine
to grit my teeth
to not let nothing
nothing in
a man's a man
for a that an' a that
and this is just the way life is
it's a step at a time at best

i figured out that love is blind
to hearts like mine
that bleed and scab
and bleed and scab
that are given and given again
and know they will not be taken
i figured out that GOD is good
nonetheless

and
and

today i miss a father

No comments:

Post a Comment